Shodo Yamagishi a.k.a. Hiroharu Yamagishi was born in 1965.
He creates “only one” and “original art” using an unprecedented technique to apply lacquer with his own hands directly.
– 1965: Born in Wajima-city, Ishikawa Prefecture.
– 1982: Graduated from Ishikawa Prefectural Wajima High School.d
– 1986: Graduated from Seijo University, Department of Economics and started exploring the lacquer art.
– 1987: Initiated a technique for applying lacquer manually. Currently (2018), he is the only one using an unprecedented technique to apply lacquer with his own hands directly.
– 1998: Won a prize in an art exhibition for Tea ceremony.
– 1996: First private exhibition with his brother at Aoyama Issi-ken.
– 1999: First private exhibition at Tokyo Tanko Center.
– 2000: Established “Lacquer laboratory” with his brother.
– 2007: Private exhibition at Ginza Kuroda Toen (thereafter, holding an exhibition every year).
– 2011: Joint development to apply lacquer on Arita porcelain dolls.
– 2012: Enrolled in the Japanese Association for Japanners.
– 2016: Won a prize in the “24th Exhibition for Beautiful Lacquer in Japanese Culture”
– 2017: Won Forestry Agency Prize in “25th Exhibition for Beautiful Lacquer in Japanese Culture”